There's a couple of scripts that take a background
color (or layer) and make a thin halo around your
transparent image.  This won't make a smooth gradient,
but if you have some idea what your background is
going to be it looks great.  Even against a patterned
background the human eye is quite forgiving.

The 2 I know offhand (I wrote one) are prep4gif and
alphaGif.

Happy GIMPing,

Seth Burgess
[EMAIL PROTECTED]