Am Montag, 12. März 2001 21:59 hast du geschrieben:
> If you want fading to backgroud, you are basically out of luck until PNGs
> are more fully supported.  (GIFs don't work because it only has
> transparency on or off, no fading).
> What I now do is have a GIMP XCF file with the "top" layer fading to
> transparent as I want, and a background layer that I can change at will.
> Thus for my pale yellow backround web pages, I can creat a new
> non-transparent JPEG which fades to my pale yellow.  For a white
> background, I create another JPEG which fades to white, etc.
> This isn't ideal, for all of the obvious reasons, but it does work for
> most usages.

There is a better workaround since we have true transparency for web
images.  It has the disadvantage to only work with simple backgrounds,

there are two layers: one with your image an one with the (simple)
background of the webpage.

Then "alpha -> selection" and save the selection into a channel.

combine the two layers.

invert the selection (after you get it back from the channel) and cut the

Then you have a simple alpha, a region where the alpha fading is combined
with the background and the picture.

Now there is only the problem to convert the RGB image to indexed.  The
advantage:  There is no border between the image and the webpage background
(sometimes image colors are different from the same colors in images).

right now the web page is in german only
but this will change as time goes by ;-)