Without thinking all that hard about the details of your problem, why
don't you just compile gimp from source?  Then you'll find out what you
really need to compile/install.

Tip: use 'checkinstall' instead of 'make install'.  It'll do a 'make
install' for you and make custom RPMs of anything your installing.  Then
you can cleanly remove programs down the road and delete the bloated
directory where you compile any given program.

Just my 2 bits.
Eric