Hi folks,

        I created a 45MB jpg with GIMP a few years ago. Now, when I
    attempt to open the image, the file is successfully loaded, the
    first tile or so is shown, then GIMP crashes because:

bash-2.05b$ gimp

GLib-ERROR **: could not allocate 16384 bytes
gimp terminated: Abort trap

bash-2.05b$ LibGimp-WARNING **: script-fu: wire_read: unexpected EOF

        The version of GIMP that I am using is:  1.2.5.

        Now, I realize that this is a GLib error, but I am looking
    for pointers on why GLib is not able to allocate a few K of
    memory. On a maching with nearly 1GB of free memory, I would
    expect to be able to read a 45MB file (especially since I
    created the image with less memory!)

                                                Thank you,
  "I like bad!"                         Bruce Burden    Austin, TX.
        - Thuganlitha
        The Power and the Prophet
        Robert Don Hughes