Yes, these should work, although there are a couple of things worth pointing out.
First, the blur filters ignore the selection when computing their result, and only
apply it afterwards -- this makes your approach work, but means that it can take
a very long time if the slicing is fine.  Second,  if the filter does not ignore the
selection, your approach might not give the right results.

>From a mathematical point of view, a variable blur is a rather special thing, and
I think in the long run there is no substitute for just biting the bullet and doing
it correctly.  But your approach is definitely better than the others that have been
suggested.

Best,
  --- Bill

Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu