[EMAIL PROTECTED] (2004-03-29 at 1627.13 +0200):
> do you consider global gamma adjustment useful at all? It means that
> everything on your screen, inlcuding the GUI and also the content
> displayed in your web-browser, image viewer, PDF viewer ...  is
> gamma-corrected. IMO this is questionable since most software assumes
> an uncorrected display. Shouldn't gamma correction take place at the
> application level instead so that it is only applied to images that
> specify a gamma correction?

Well, I have global settings. What is more, the monitor has controls
like color temperature, brightness or contrast that affect the global
look, and no way to avoid that, at most you can ignore it and say
yours is fine and the rest not. Anything that cares about providing
decent data looks fine (some photo websites, ie) and those that do not
care look fine (when they are lucky) or normally crap.

I have a wm menu entry to quickly change gamma, to get a rough idea of
what others can see or try to see as they created the thing I am
looking at. So far this has served me well, I know it is not perfect
but it is way better than seeing weird things or wasting time
convincing everyone to make apps that pay attention to colour
issues... and then convince every creator to do the same. It would be
great, but until then, each one has to find solutions.

The common problem I have is when trying to show something I did and
the monitor used is completly misadjusted or really damaged or both.
It is a real pain to pass most of the time saying "well, this shadow
here has this and that details, but this monitor only shows black, so
please imagine them" instead of talking about other more important
things in the image. Similarly goes for TFT, but in that case it
normally is also includes "look from here if you want to see it a bit
better". :]

> Please excuse my ignorance, I am trying to understand what's really
> needed for professional image manipulation and so far I understood
> that global gamma correction is not desirable.

Maybe you are confusing the completly fucked up monitors some people
have with a known config and extra control in apps. I have default app
configs targeted at the default monitor config I use, and accept that
for quick changes they will look rare. If I pass too much time jumping
I have no problem cos I created the menu in such way that I can change
most of the interface to match gamma, I just have to create the extra
versions required.

So I am not gamma correcting my interface for fun, but more like
putting it in a generaly accepted default and doing it with no extra
CPU load (video card LUTs). And above all notice that gamma correction
will not solve problems like out of gammut or colour shifts, it is
part not the final solution.

Related side note: Do libs like gtk+, freetype / fontconfig, etc pay
attention to colour management issues? At least the basic gamma?
Globally? Per monitor? I think they do not at all and they should in
some cases (adapt to given monitor, provide correct results), but I
guess they caused the general impression gamma is non important except
for professional image manipulation. I would be very happy to get
professional colour matching in image apps, and at least the bare
minimums for all the apps.

Conclusions: monitors and video cards should be adjusted at least
basically (that includes gamma and is an user task), normal apps
should care a bit (AA fonts, ie), and image manipulation apps should
care a lot more. It is a progresive thing.

GSR