On Thursday 22 April 2004 16:42, David Neary wrote:
> Hi,
> Sven Neumann wrote:
> > > On PotatoShop (forced to used at gunpoint), there are no problems
> > > editing this image or other large images.
> >
> > Photoshop handles large images better than GIMP. That's a known fact
> > and it's not trivial to improve.
> How, exactly? I've heard this too, but I have no clear idea how
> they do so - do they have a similar caching system, and just make
> better decisions about what to cache and when? Or do they use OS
> specific features to reduce read times for caching operations?
> Or perhaps something completely different?
/me thinks that, not worrying about photoshop, one way to optmize is
to paint on the scaled down image in real time, and perform the real operation
on the full size image in the background.

If not  the paint-tools (that would take a significant amount of code change
to implement), at least the preview for the color-manipulation tools (curves,
HSV, etc) , should do something of the kind.