On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:54:59 -0300
> From: Joao S. O. Bueno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Environment settings & big images
>
> On Thursday 22 April 2004 16:42, David Neary wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Photoshop handles large images better than GIMP. That's a known fact
> > > and it's not trivial to improve.
> >
> > How, exactly? I've heard this too, but I have no clear idea how
> > they do so - do they have a similar caching system, and just make
> > better decisions about what to cache and when? Or do they use OS
> > specific features to reduce read times for caching operations?
> >
> > Or perhaps something completely different?

> /me thinks that, not worrying about photoshop, one way to optmize is
> to paint on the scaled down image in real time, and perform the real operation
> on the full size image in the background.

I believe this is called 'Image proxies'

I did a quick search and found this description
http://www.deneba.com/cvhelp/command/image_proxies.html

Did lots more searching of the mailing list archives and if I'm reading
this correctly proxies are already being used for things like thumbnails
and previews.
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2002-April/006814.html

Dave CC'ed the developer mailing list so anyone who is interested should
read the responses there too.
http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg06802.html

Sincerely

Alan Horkan