On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:54:59 -0300
> From: Joao S. O. Bueno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Environment settings & big images
> On Thursday 22 April 2004 16:42, David Neary wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > Photoshop handles large images better than GIMP. That's a known fact
> > > and it's not trivial to improve.
> >
> > How, exactly? I've heard this too, but I have no clear idea how
> > they do so - do they have a similar caching system, and just make
> > better decisions about what to cache and when? Or do they use OS
> > specific features to reduce read times for caching operations?
> >
> > Or perhaps something completely different?

> /me thinks that, not worrying about photoshop, one way to optmize is
> to paint on the scaled down image in real time, and perform the real operation
> on the full size image in the background.

I believe this is called 'Image proxies'

I did a quick search and found this description

Did lots more searching of the mailing list archives and if I'm reading
this correctly proxies are already being used for things like thumbnails
and previews.

Dave CC'ed the developer mailing list so anyone who is interested should
read the responses there too.

Alan Horkan