Talking about thumbnail viewers:

First off,  I have also searched for a thumbnail viewer that will show
xcf files.  I have GThumb installed (Gentoo box) and it does not show my
xcf file thumbnails.  I have searched for any type of
settings/preferences dialogue but found nothing.

I would also kill for a viewer which can read bzipped files.  I have
huge tiff files which I scan in then manipulate.  I keep in originals
int tif.bz2 format.  The "open file" dialogue box is the only thingy I
have found capable of generating & showing a thumbnail of these files.

Any suggestions or hits with the stupid stick that you can send my way?

As ever I am grateful.
Adrain

--
On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography:  http://204EastSouth.com
Purchase from On The Fly:  http://www.cafepress.com/onthefly