I'm having a problem that prevents me from using Gimp-2 altogether: whenever I use any input device to do something with the pen down, such as draw or erase, the cpu load shoots up and the system becomes quickly unusable. The processes that generate the load are the X server and kdeinit.

It is definitely related to X or kde (most likely both) not able to "digest" all the incoming events from the input device, because when I draw very slowly, the load stays reasonable, and also because the more I draw, the more events seem to be queued up and the more I have to wait for the queue to clear up, the cpu load to go back down and kde to become usable again. Typically, if I draw briskly for 30 seconds, I have to wait 2 or 3 minutes for kde to start processing my clicks on the desktop.

This happens with the tablet or the mouse, and whether the tablet
devices are in "screen" or "window" mode makes no difference. The size of the canvas doesn't make a difference either. I don't recall this ever happening with Gimp-1.2. It only happens with Gimp-2, I've tried to reproduce the problem with other programs, and with xev, to no avail. My configuration is the following:

Athlon 1.8GHz, 512M, Linux 2.6.7, XFree86 4.3.0, linuxwacom-0.6.4, kde-3.2.3, Gimp-2.0.4.

Anybody knows what the problem could be?

--
Pierre-Philippe Coupard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Software Engineer