nice to hear from you Patrick,
On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 09:39:52PM -0400, BandiPat wrote:
> As much as I agree with you on the new file selectors and disappointment
> that the Gimp developers can't change them, I'm afraid this is the
> state of Gnome/GTK+ presently.  If you haven't seen Gnome lately, 2.4
> or 2.6 versions, then you will be even more disappointed.  It seems
> that those developers have decided taking away user control over the
> interface will make it an easier transition for user's of other OS's to
> move to Linux.  You have to realize now, it's worked for Apple &
> Windows so far.  Hide everything, lock it into a consistent look & feel
> and remove as many user controls as possible to eliminate confusion on
> their part!

i started to use gimp-1.0.2 on a 486 with a 33meg harddrive and it kept
up more than fine with photoshop5 on windows on a 455MHz machine.  i did
not understand this miracle until i installed gimp-1.2 and gimp-1.3 on
the same computer (the 455MHz) which had to be upgraded to run
photoshop7 and WindowsME and later.  these are still all just numbers to
me ....

> Fortunately for us, the Linux users, we have other choices to go too
> that are still Linux oriented, full control, but this is not an option
> for Gimp, built so heavily within GTK+.  Maybe something will change,
> maybe they'll realize the error of their ways, but presently, they have
> decided to go this route.  We'll see if pays off and if it does, Linux
> gets more users and if not, the Linux users get an ugly GUI interface
> that can't be changed much.

well, it might be time that gnome claim their own?  call it the gnome
tool kit.  it is smelling like a free ride on gimp success right now.
having miguel join #gimp and call me retarded doesnt do much to make me
think that the rest of his users have any sense or ability.
http://carol.gimp.org/gallery/journal/gimp-2004-09-04.txt
(use "Find In Page" and search for miguel to see the respect given back)

i sent him an email introducing myself to him a few weeks back and never
received a similar response back.  not being a gnome user, i only know
him from an email i read about "gay gnome parties" and another web page
in which him and someone named nat did a photo cheer thing for evolution
showing some profit.  actually, in retrospect, i would guess that being
called retarded by someone who cannot send back a similar introduction
with such a limited internet personality is probably not so bad.

if anyone would like to see this introduction, i will be happy to
forward a copy of it to you -- maybe i should put it on cgo ....

i have never gotten anywhere with human beings treating them like they
are to stupid to handle cool tools.  i guess they have or are banking on
this.  or on the fact that things on #gimp are public via my journal
now.

http://carol.gimp.org/about/introduction-to-miguel.txt

i see that i failed to mention that i wrote a program for a hypothetical
turing machin in 1986 or 87 that squared x.  i am retarded ;)

>   Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane,
>    by Those That Cannot Hear the Music!

you hear it, dont you :)

thank you for being not the stupid gimp user they think they make
software for ...

carol