Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> That is a whole lot of maintainance work, way more than you might
> think.  I would hope optimistically that things could be adjusted to
> work well for all kinds of users and I think it would be better to
> make efforts to improve the defaults first (but developers will
> spend time on whatever they are most interested in).

AFAIK, a bunch of people are already working on improving the menu
hierarchy. Anyone who feels that he/she can contribute, should join
this effort. This is definitely not something that should be done by
developers, at least not by developers only. The developers have done
their job already, the menu structure is easily editable since GIMP
2.2. Now it's up to the users to discuss menu structure and to come up
with a reasonable proposal for changes. Implementing these changes is
the trivial part.

Of course it should be kept in mind that the user manual as well as
the translations need updating as well. For this reason I don't think
that the menu labels and/or their order should be themeable. That
would break translation and the documentation. Good defaults is what
we should try to achieve.

> I think the point about finding menu items is worth considering but
> we already deal with users in various langauges (and therefore
> different lables for the same things) and I think this problem could
> be reduced if the PDB Browser could be improved to allow users to
> search for things more easily.

I don't see how the Procedure Browser is relevent here since it is a
tool for script and plug-in authors and doesn't deal at all with menus
or the user interface in general.

> I have a custom version of PDB Browser that allows me to search by
> Name, Summary ('cause "blurb" is too much common slang), Description
> and a bunch of other fields too.  (I'm not sure if I ever asked for
> the built in version to be improved, for some reason I have a
> feeling I might have.)

I don't think you did and you know very well how to do this
properly. Please open a bug report and attach a diff to it.