On Tuesday 26 July 2005 10:20, Martin Vollrathson wrote:
> Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:
> > Given this picture, I do not see how it could be physically any
> > different from what you presented us - tehre simply are not more
> > pixels on that image.
>
> No, that's right, there are no more pixels. But that's exactly the
> point. With the very high resolution of the tablet, I should be
> able to move the brush at a sub-pixel level. Take a look at this
> new screenshot:
>
> http://mavos.net/dump/jagged_line_2.png
>
> The black line on the left is drawn using the shift-key with the
> brush tool, to make a straight line.
>
> The two pink lines are my attempts to paint the same line just
> using my hand and my pen. Assuming my hand was unrealistically
> steady I should be able to produce the exact same results. Of
> course I cannot do this but I should at least be able to come
> closer than this. Can you see how the brush wants to go in exact
> vertical direction? _That_ is what I should not be able to do. :-)
>
> /Martin

There are no places on the image to store the information you want. An
image is made out of pixels - what is freferred as sub-pixels is the
ability to fill a pixel partially - not of subdividing a single pixel
into more than one shade of  gray. Darw with the pencil tool instead
- you will notice the difference.

What I told you to do is to incresae the resolution of your image, so
that you get MORE pixels. That is, if you are working in a 800x600
image, use a 1600x1200 or even a 3200x2400 image to paint on (scaled
down to 25%) - Then if the GIMP  gives you strange results due to the
painting happening on a zoomed out image, you write here, and the
GIMP-developers will see if it can be imporoved in the program.