On 11/4/05, Ernesto Orozco Coulson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have been looking for but I could not find the way
> to work with FRAMES (like Macromedia Fireworks).
> Where is the "frames" window?
> Could anyone please give me explanation about?

I believe that for all intents and purposes, there is no frames window
in GIMP.  "Frames" are represented as layers in GIF images (for web,
in GIF export) and as separate files (for AVI, in Gimp Animation
Package, a.k.a GAP).  To get the kind of effects created by Macromedia
Fireworks, you'd need to create multiple still images and sew them
together as a GIF, AVI, or by using JavaScript in your web page - a
long process.

Macromedia Fireworks uses something called "Vector" based Graphics
provided by Macromedia's proprietary Flash technology/file format, and
GIMP uses "Raster" based graphics which are not so proprietary and
come in various file formats.  The two are different, yield different
results, and work differently.  While GIMP is good at editing various
types of "raster" images for the web, it doesn't do many of the
features of Macromedia Fireworks that appear to be touted on its

[Vector images use points and "connect the dots" when they display on
your computer and contain instructions like "put this text here" and
"fill this shape with this colour", whereas Raster images store the
colour in a grid of dots that are put next to each other to look like
an image.]

You might find it easier to describe the effect you wish to get, and
maybe we can show you a different way of achieving it with the GIMP.

 - Just my two cents
 - No man is an island, and no man is unable.
Gimp-user mailing list

Reply via email to