On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 20:41 +0000, michael chang wrote:
On 11/10/05, Jeff Avveduti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 23:23 -0700, Matt Gushee wrote:
>  michael chang wrote:
> > On 11/8/05, Jeff Avveduti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>Make sure the texture layer is selected
>
> You probably understood this, but it's a potential point of confusion,
> so let's try to make it totally clear: "selected" here means to make
> sure, before opening the Bump Map dialog, that the texture is the active
> layer in the main window (selected in the layers dialog).
>
> >> Ok, I must be doing something wrong. I opened a picture, add text
> [Avveduti Photography], Filters -> Map -> Bump Map, no matter I change, the
> text does not change.
> >> I move the window around to show the different letters of the text but
> nothing. I slide everything to the far right... nothing. I hit ok and hide
> the layer... nothing.
> >> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Maybe what you're missing is that, in the Bump Map dialog, you have to
> select the text layer as the Bump Map ... that option is in the upper
> right corner (at least for me on Linux ... I don't imagine it varies by
> platform, but it's conceivable).
>
> > I don't think the text is supposed to change, the background is. Then
> > you should be able to "hide" the text somehow,
>
> Yes, for the final image ... though if you start with the text below the
> texture, it won't be visible anyway.
>
> > the text layer in the layers box. Maybe you need to flatten it first?
>
> Can't imagine how that would make a difference at this stage.
>

>  Ok, that did it... I was not selecting the texture layer first, then the
> bump map.
>  Very good. How can I save it out to be able to drop it over another
> picture? Brush? I need to be able to resize it, if nessary.

Well, it's part of the layer... since it's not a seperate entitity you
can't exactly just rip it off as-is and paste it somewhere else.

Try to perform the same technique, with the layer on the actual layer
where you're going to "paste" the effect -- make sure to duplicate and
hide one of the layers first, to make sure you have a backup in case
of error (although Undo should cover most cases unless GIMP crashes,
and you should save before you start to cover most of the rest of
those).

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents

I could do that but that is just not efficient. If I have 30 photographs to add the logo to, I don't want to add in all of those steps every time. I tried saving it as a brush and it stinks. It does not show all of the logo. I guess I will be forced to stay with the standard for now. Perhaps one day Gimp will be a replacement for me... for now, I guess not.