On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:17:19PM -0700, Alex Feldman wrote:
> That is, it was useful until I got to section 3.4, The Paths Dialog.
> Now nothing seems to work.
the pathtool is probably the most changed tool since gimp-1.2.
personally, i would have a difficult time writing how to use the new
pathtool.  after you work with it for a while, it just seems to start to

> To begin with, the first line in the section reads:
>  "Because Bezier paths are so useful, there is a special Paths dialog
>  that allows multiple Bezier paths to be edited, managed, and saved."
> So to begin with I draw a Bezier path with the path tool, and save the
> file.  Then I reopen it, and no path.  I mucked around looking for it,
> but I couldn't find it hiding anywhere.  I tried it again and the same
> thing happened, both files were the same size.  I tried opening an
> image window and doing nothing, and saving it, and it was smaller than
> one were I tried to save the Bezier path.  There was no undo history
> in either file, I used the xcf format to save.
which version of gimp are you using?  gimp only saves its history per
session.  quit cleans that out.

one way that the gimp-2 paths dialog changed is that the paths now work
the same way layers do.  you can toggle them to be viewable or not, you
can export them as svg.

i found it more confusing (after the switch) because you can make the
paths visible even when the path tool is not active.

> I then tried a number of other things suggested in the book, including
> writing the path on one layer, and then toggling visibility (which is
> what I really was interested in) by clicking on the eye-cons in the
> layers dialog.  I could go into detail about what did happen, but I
> have a feeling that any number of people know what I was doing wrong at
> this point, and could fill me in (no pun intended).
i don't know how up to date grokking is with the new pathtool.

> One last thing - if after I have made a path, I change tools, the path
> disappears, never to return, even if I change back to the path tool.
> But the path operations remain in the undo history - so I can remove
> the anchors that I can't see, or put them back.  Alas, putting them
> back doesn't make them visible.
> So where can learn about all this?  Oh, I have looked in the online
> manual, and it seemed rather terse on the subject.
none of these things should have happened.