On Friday 03 February 2006 02:57 pm, Carol Spears wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 09:34:10AM -0500, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > I cannot compile the unstable Gimp because of one stupid thing.
> > the ./configure always blows up on this message:
> > checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
> > checking for XML::Parser... configure: error: XML::Parser perl module is
> > required for intltool
> > ----------------------------------
> > Now I have a standard Slackware distro including Perl. I have
> > files called Parser.pm all over the place. Where do I get the
> > specific Parser.pm that Gimp needs and where do I put it where
> > Gimp can find it?
> >
> > I have asked about this before, but never got an answer.
> i am using debian sid.  i just searched their cache for "XML::Parser"
> and from that list i think (if i had your problem) i would install the
> package called libxml-perl.
> part of the art of running slackware is to be able to work from
> information like this?
> carol

The stupid thing was me installing Active-X Perl. I killed that
and reinstalled the standard item. That got me past the problem
with Parser.pm.

Now I have a problem with GLIB. Versions up thorugh gimp 2.3.3
don't have the problem.. Versions newer than that complain about an obsolete
GLIB. I updated glib to 2.8.2 and now there is a mismatch between
what I have and what some program finds. There are lots of clever
hints printed out about how to get around the problem, none of
which work for me. Fortunately I always have virgin partition
laying around to compensate for my own fumbling. I had to move
one file around but then 2.3.3 would compile. It still won't
compile on my main partition. But bottom line I now have
2.3.3.Newer versions won't compile in either partition.

My principal concern is, what happens when 2.4 comes out? Will it
require an upgrade to my glib? How much misery grief and woe can
I expect?

John Culleton
Books with answers to marketing and publishing questions:

Book coaches, consultants and packagers: