On Sat, 30 Sep 2006, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 20:07:13 +0200
> From: Marc Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Please Change the Derogatory Name
>
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 05:06:44PM +0100, Alan Horkan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Maybe but we should all understand there is a derogatory impact
>
> Is there?

Yes.  You trimmed the bit of Sven's message where he agreed there was an
impact but he disagreed as to the size and importance of that derogatory
impact.

At the very least you have both me and the recent submitter saying there
is a derogatory impact, that is all it takes.  If you want more examples
look at the mailing list archives you should find a few more occassions
when this issue was raised and - unreliable thought it may be - you will
also find many complaints about the name in places like slashdot and many
others.  You cannot deny there is an impact but it is not unreasonable to
ask how important that impact may or may not be.

As I said before offering to accept patches which made it possible to
rebrand the gimp in a clean maintainable way without the need to fork
could bring this dicussion to screeching halt until someone shows some
code.  Isn't that the Free Software way?  Look how Ubuntu has different
versions which all work together promoting Ubuntu without suggesting those
who have different needs should fork the project.

--
Alan H.