On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 03:41 +0100, Stephan Hegel wrote:

> It does not break the mechanism of "configure && make && make install" as
> everything could be embedded fully transparent within this procedure,
> even the installation of a wrapper. The user even wouldn't notice.

This discussion is pretty much pointless to have. The development
releases are there to test the upcoming stable 2.4 release. We are not
going to introduce the possibility that problems with our build system
are show up when such a wrapper script is removed for the final 2.4.0

Why don't you just pass --enable-binreloc to configure and simply call
the resulting binary directly? It will then figure out where to find the
libraries and data files relative to the location of the binary.