On Thursday 21 June 2007, Michael Schumacher wrote:
> Sounds like the article uses Cinepaint propaganda without original
> research.

You could be right on the money.

It's typical (speaking from experience here) for magazine article
authors to be under time pressure, so they don't always feel free
to do as much research as they'd like (and as they should).

Which leads me to my next question/suggestion: have any of us
considered putting together a magazine website? If it went well,
we could get all ambitious and turn it into a paper raga as well,
but the general idea would be to present a semi-official place
to collect both competent critisims (like Mr Hammel's) and also
an occasional article on plain old using the GIMP, plus one on
artistic techniques (thinks like recoving faces from botched
photos, differences from other programs, an article or two from
developers on what's gunner happen to GIMP & how & why.

I think we could do a little light advertising (GIMP and
graphics focus) as well, to cover hosting costs et al, but I'm
happy to volunteer to put the effort in to run the site (call
the post "abuse server"?) and nag people for articles etc.

The leading question, I guess, would be: does such a beastie
exist already? How much duplication of effort would it involve?

The printed graphics magazines available here in Oz tend to be
quite expensive, and if they have a product focus, it'll
typically be PhotoShop. So you could call this filling a
personal need.

I'm not in a position to run a server (net access here is
dialup -- slow -- or satellite -- $$$ for data -- so what we'd
need to do this voluntarily is someone with an ADSL or similar
link with a few spare gigabytes and a machine which won't mind
being a DNS and web server (which implies a fixed IP address).

Thankfully, this is gravy for Linux. Under Mandriva, I'd do
something like "urpmi apache-mod_php apache-ssl bind" and
edit up a new user with write access to a virtual hosting
directory (then you could run several independent sites).
Debianoid systems would be a similar command, with apt-get
or the like.

Aaanyway, the point of a mailing list is to comment, so please
educate me! (-: What do you think?

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Committee Member, Linux Australia