Not sure how well GimpShop will run on FreeBSD.  I don't know anything about
FreeBSD,
myself (I am running Ubuntu Dapper), but I wonder if GimpShop and and the Gimp
2.2.15 it
looks like you installed will have a conflict.  On windows, GimpShop has been
pretty much
a bugfest, at Gimptalk, we always tried to steer people away from it, because
many
complained about its instability, not to mention the fact that asking for help
in it's
use was rather confusing, since it uses a different menu setup than the regular
Gimp.  I
know I tried it at one point, because it would install without admin privelages
on the
computers where I work.  It ran for about a day, then would just open and crash
immediately afterwards.  I got rid of it.

Also, not sure what version of Gimp this latest GimpShop is based on, it most
likely
isn't the latest stable version.  For the longest time, it was based on Gimp
2.2.8.

As for Canon RAW files, that's a tricky question.  For starters, Gimp, and most
likely,
by extension, GimpShop, only supports 8 bit color, so even if you can open a
RAW file in
Gimp/GimpShop, you aren't going to get all the information.

However....  there is a standalone program, UFRAW, that also can be used as a
Gimp
plug-in which will load the files and allow some manipulation.  I am not sure
how the
plugin will work with GimpShop.

There is also DigiKam, which, with appropriate plugins, can handle Canon RAW
files.  I
have a Rebel XT and this is what I use when I want to mess with RAW files.