David Gowers wrote:
> On 8/21/07, Konstantin Svist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I wanted to ask why the lines drawn with a Wacom tablet look so
>> different when drawn in gimp vs. when they're drawn in Photoshop or
>> OpenCanvas.
>> Attached is an example of lines drawn in Photoshop CS2, CS3, OpenCanvas
>> (sorry, can't remember the version #) and Gimp (2.2.15, I think)
>> The line drawin in Gimp does not look very smooth - there are bumps n
>> the line and it looks segmented.
>> Why is this happening and is there any way to fix this behavior? Is this
>> intrinsic to Gimp or does it come from the linux wacom driver?
>> Maybe Photoshop/oC have some smoothing algorithms that they apply to raw
>> stroke data..?
> a) the pressure curve being used with GIMP is definitely different
> from the one used by the other software. This is related to the
> LinuxWacom driver (look up the 'PressCurve' option, to adjust the
> curve.)
> b)  yes, oC certainly does have smoothing algorithyms.. and probably
> Photoshop too.
> c) 'p1' seems to be using a different brush than the other 3.
> d) The 'jumps' in brush size are due to limitations that GIMP places
> upon brush scaling. There is probably some way to adapt this so it
> works better for small scale brushes.
>> Has anyone encountered something similar before?
> The ink tool in GIMP is the only tool that currently uses smoothing.
> As you can see, it produces results comparable to Photoshop and oC:
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/neota/alphazero/ink.png
> The smoothing code for the ink tool can probably be adapted for use
> with normal brush-based paint tools - if you want this, I urge you to
> investigate.

Thanks everyone for advice!
I'll definitely try playing with the pressure curves.
And yes, 'p1' was apparently a modified brush (the original artist
confirmed it :). But that aside, p2 and o1 look a lot better than g1...
I've heard somewhere that gimp was made for photo editing, not
drawing/sketching.. so I guess it's not very likely this will change?

Are there any programs in Linux that were actually made for

P.S. just tried the ink tool - it has a fairly annoying "angle" setting
which makes the strokes change width based on the angle (angle 0 means
horizontal strokes are thin, while vertical strokes are thick). I don't
see the same in your example, though - what setting did you change to
get that?