On 9/29/07, Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I appreciate all the info and discussion on this.  It's a lot more than
> I expected...and that's a good thing.
> I guess what I really want to know is, am I going to see any noticeable
> loss if image quality from my 12-bit images?
> Also asked but not answered, are imaged displayed in their original
> bit-depth or as 8-bit?
All mainstream displays only support 8bits/component, so while further
levels could be simulated with dithering while zoomed in, the display
will only be 8bit in the foreseeable future.  In most cases the 12bit
range is just a more precise version of the 8bit range, so you will
not see any difference.

using >8 bits per channel is mainly useful for manipulation and HDR
purposes; it's not directly relevant to the quality of the display.