On Monday 01 October 2007 16:09:23 jim feldman wrote:
> Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> > * Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [10-01-07 13:29]
> >
> >> In any event, from what you've told me, GIMP may not be the right tool
> >> for me at this time.  I want to retain all my bits.  So until GIMP
> >> natively supports 12-bits or higher, I'm gonna have to stick to
> >> Photoshop for now.
> >
> > Then you need to abandon the jpeg format as it is lossey (google for
> > it) and you need to shoot RAW.
>
> True for all DSLR's (I think), but some better P&S's also can produce
> TIFF's which uses a lossless compression (actually being pedantic) as
> sort of pseudo raw format.
>
> For me at least, the big reasons for PS CS over gimp are the following:
>  - The plugins.  For the pro/semi pro shooter, there are  just way too
> many very cool plugins for PS.  Everything from Noise-Ninja to lens
> distortion corrections to some very interesting portrait tools to
> virtual view camera adjustments (more than just perspective correction).
>  - Integration with the color "spiders" and CMS
>  - 8/24 vs 16/48 - This is at least on the horizon for GIMP
>
> In GIMP's defense, many (if not the vast majority) of digital
> photographers will have no need of these features.  Even if by some
> magic they were available, few would use them because of the cost or
> complexity.  It's a good tool.  I use it a great deal myself, and I
> wouldn't hesitate to use it to teach an "into to digital darkroom"
> course.  The exception would be, for students who were on a professional
> photographer track.
>
> jim

I think this approach is a sound one because using gimp students can, given a
computer and internet access, get to know about digital processes without
committing themselves to the expense of purchasing PS. They can find out
whether they feel able to assimilate and use digital imaging processes
because so many of the techniques remain the same. However there is no way,
given the gimnps currently available tools set one I would feel confident
recomending it to students for professional processing or for working
collaboratively with other professionals in the industry. I wish this were
not the case but until Gimp development reaches reaches the right level that
is the way it is.

There is also the problem of non-destructive editing which cannot be advanced
until Gimp has the tools to handles raw files  rather than relying upon
conversions using an external tool set..