On Tuesday 02 October 2007 09:38:38 carol irvin wrote:
> i used to teach in a college setting but in a non-art dept.  the commercial
> art courses were all given with adobe products.  this was good from one
> standpoint, i.e. that the students would be using the programs that an ad
> agency or similar would be using.  It was bad from the standpoint though
> that most of the students could not afford all of these adobe products on
> their own.  This meant that as they were taking these courses, they had to
> get all their work done on either their classroom computers or the
> library's computers.  They could not work on their projects at home.  These
> projects were very time consuming.  Ideally, they were also the logical
> jumping off point for the student to do a great deal of experimentation.
> However, you weren't going to do much experimenting in the classroom or
> library if you'd already put in hours and hours of work in fairly
> uncomfortable circumstances of sitting in the typical classroom or library
> chair.  If you are a student with a fair amount  of discretionary income
> for school supplies, you can solve this problem by buying the student
> versions of the adobe programs.  If you are a student who is  financially
> hard pressed from semester to semester, the GIMP gives you a creative
> experimenting opportunity otherwise not available to you.  I should  add
> that the instructors cannot tell, when looking at your completed project,
> what program you did it on.  They are looking at the end result only.  If
> your end result is A material, it doesn't matter what you did it on.  This
> is also where originality of idea pays off more than flexing your muscles
> with the hardest techniques.  It is NOT GOOD if your work looks like
> everyone else's and that is the great weakness of digital art straight
> across the board (largely because of the overemphasis on technique over
> idea).  The instructors don't care about anything but the artistic merit of
> the results.  If I were the student, I'd just go home and do the art work
> on the Gimp where I could have all my comforts around me for the days and
> days of long hours needed to produce the art work.  you could do some of
> the art work in the classroom in photoshop and then store it online before
> you left so you could pick it up at home.

What you say makes a lot of sense. Your approach is one that focusses on
matching the tool to the need. That makes good sense both technically and
artistically.

My only caution is that each student needs to appraciate both the merits and
demerits of each tool and that is extremely hard to convey because there can
be no hard and fast rules.

As I think I have said elsewhere, if the medium is a projected or screen jpg
image then it makes no real difference whether the image is 8 bit or 16 bit
or whether it was created as a raw image or a jpg. Frankly the same result
can be achieved in either gimp or photoshop. But if the student is going on
to professional high quality digital image making then Gimp (at its present
standard of development) is unlikely to provide provide the answer when s/he
makes that move.