Sven,

I have an idea for something which might be fun to do as a group and
educational as well.  Each person (who wanted to participate) would take an
art step phase further using GIMP until we had a completed art work.  For
example, let's say you'd start it using a brush.  Then maybe I'd go into
what you did with an eraser and make it something else.  Then maybe Leon
would use both versions as layers and run the two through the modes
(multiple, burn, dodge, etc.,) until finding his own version....and so on
down the line.  each person would explain what he did in GIMP to get to his
phase as well.  I find learning by doing is a lot more fun and makes things
flow faster too.  If people are worried about ending up with mud, they
needn't.  I could finish off whatever we come up with so it worked (put it
artistically back on track).  I have found that I do not need to use the
most complex techniques in order to come with good artistic results in
Photoshop and I assume the same is true in Gimp.  This is one thing I don't
like in the Photoshop community too, i.e., the slavishness devoted to
difficulty of technique or memorizing keyboard shortcuts versus exploration
of a worthwhile artistic idea (which may actually be fairly easy to achieve
if the idea itself is good enough).  The only thing we have to figure out is
where we post all the work.  If you want to have everyone forward it to me,
I can mount it all in an album in Picasa Web Albums as one solution.

I have one technical question about this list.  Do I also need to send this
reply to the list or does replying to anyone send it automatically to the
list?  This one shows the answer going to Leon but doesn't show the list so
I am adding the list as a 2nd receipient.  I don't understand if simply
sending it to Leon would also send it to the list.  It didn't when I was on
listservs on yahoo.

Also, how many of you on this list are developers for GIMP?  I do not
personally have any affinity for working in code.  I can go to the code and
understand most of it on a web page when I'm building a web page.  However,
I don't have the slightest idea how one goes about building an actual
program!

carol

On 9/30/07, Leon Brooks GIMP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sunday 30 September 2007 20:06:09 Sven Neumann wrote:
> > We are listening to our users. That's why we have this mailing-
> > list and actually read about the problems and needs of our
> > users.
>
> Round of applause, that sentiment. (-:
>
> Now I need to organise my own life better so I can make space
> to actually contribute code, rather than just words.
>
> Cheers; Leon

carol