On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 16:23 +0000, norman wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 15:46 +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
> > On Tue 18-Mar-2008 at 08:13 -0700, Simon Roberts wrote:
> > >
> > >Software can certainly help with this, and "that other product" has
> > >this built in. Then again, you can buy a couple of really nice
> > >lenses for the price you'll pay for that product ;>
> >
> > Not an immediate solution, but 'over at the hugin project' we have a
> > demonstrated technique for automatic correction of transverse
> > chromatic aberration.  Sponsorship for turning this into an everyday
> > tool is available under the Google Summer of Code:
> >
> > http://wiki.panotools.org/SoC_2008_ideas#tCA_Correction
>
> This seems to assume that the optics are the cause of the CA whereas I
> understand that CA is also caused by the chip in e digital camera. Will
> this process take care of that?

The chip doesn't cause CA, it's only the lens. A smaller sensor is more
sensitive for CA, because the pixels are smaller and enlarge every lens
problem. A CA that stays on one pixel in a Nikon D3 (and is invisible)
would cover a lot of pixels on a 1/1.8" chip and would become visible.

Rolf

http://meetthegimp.org - weekly videopodcast about GIMP and digital
photography