´╗┐On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 15:33 +0000, norman wrote:

> I feel sure that you must be correct. I have never seen any noticeable
> fringing or CA effects with my ordinary photography it is only with
this
> project I set myself of copying a lot of old colour transparencies. In
> the old days I used to often feel frustrated at not being able to do a
> great deal with colour slides such as I did in my darkroom with black
> and white film. Thus, I saw this as chance to catch up on history and
at
> the same time, maybe, produce some interesting images digitally. It
now
> looks as though I shall be frustrated yet again.
>
> Norman

I think your camera is OK, the problem is your "close up filter" that
you use for enlarging the slides. These things are prone to CA. You can
get away with a lens made out of two glasses (called achromatic and
being expensive), but most of these things are made out of a single
glass and mess up the colours. I never have heard about an apochromatic
lens to put in front of a point and shoot.

You can try to use your camera without this lens in macro mode and crop
the image later in GIMP. With luck there is enough resolution left.

Rolf

http://meetthegimp.org - weekly videopodcast about GIMP and digital
photography