On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 02:14 +0800, Tsai, Dung-Bang (蔡東邦) wrote:
> As far as I know, baseline jpeg is alway lossy; only JPEG-LS supports
> lossless image saving. So, does it mean that if I save file at 100% quality,
> gimp will use JPEG-LS?

Don't know - you'd have to look at the source to figure that out or ask
on gimp-developer.

> Also, I will also check that if your ideal will work or not. I'm worried about
> that gimp can not even read the exif in the tiff file such that your approach
> will not work at all.

I wasn't that impressed with the TIFF file plugin though I use it to
save lossless screenshots for articles.  If you are worried it doesn't
read the exif data you can try converting to JPEG first using
ImageMagick and then loading it that way.  I believe the JPEG plugin
supports the EXIF data.  Again, since I don't use EXIF much I'm not
positive of any of this.  You simply have to try it and find out.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://graphics-muse.org