Roel Schroeven wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some BMP-files that GIMP doesn't load correctly; GIMP shows
> almost the whole image as transparent instead of the real image data.
> Only a small region is visible, and even that with partial transparency.
> The image doesn't contain any transparency though (I don't even think
> BMP supports transparency).
> Other image editors and viewers such as Irfanview and Paint.NET open the
> image correctly.
> I'm using GIMP 2.6.2 on Windows XP.
> If you want to see the image, get it at
> (5 MB) or
> (854 kB).
> Should I report this as a bug? Or is the BMP maybe written in an invalid
> format?

I can't help you :( I can only confirm what you are saying:
On Linux (Gentoo) - identify:
identify "radar-20081222T090636-00.bmp"  (9575)
radar-20081222T090636-00.bmp BMP 1024x1280 1024x1280+0+0 8-bit
DirectClass 5mb

In gqview and cinepaint the image looks normal, so it is when imported
in Inkscape too.
In Gimp both 2.4 and 2.6.0 the image looks like you are describing -