Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 13:36 +0200, peter kostov wrote:
>> Sven is right. I just did:
>> "Add Layer Mask" -> "Transfer layer's alpha channel", check "Invert
>> Mask", then file -> open as layers -> open the original image, flatten
>> and the image is O.K.
>> So it is not a bug in GIMP, but maybe in the way the image was saved
>> with this mask.

Apparently Sven's answer didn't reach the list, so here it is:
> One could argue though that the BMP loader in GIMP should use a layer
> mask to represent the mask in the BMP file instead of using an alpha
> channel for this. You would probably have discovered this more easily
> then and it appears to be a better way to represent the BMP image
> structure. So I think we should accept a patch that changed the BMP file
> plug-in in this way.
> Sven

Roel, I don't understand your technique of creating this screenshot, but
it looks like the BMP file has a mask in it. This is the source of the
transparency, because the file-bmp plug-in transforms this into
transparency. Unfortunately I can't understand exactly how to change the
  file-bmp plug-in to implement that what Sven is suggesting because at
this time I know just a little python, but not C.