On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 09:56 +0100, Roel Schroeven wrote:

> I have some BMP-files that GIMP doesn't load correctly; GIMP shows
> almost the whole image as transparent instead of the real image data.
> Only a small region is visible, and even that with partial transparency.
> The image doesn't contain any transparency though (I don't even think
> BMP supports transparency).
> Other image editors and viewers such as Irfanview and Paint.NET open the
> image correctly.

I am not so sure about that. The image opened in GIMP has all the
information and an alpha channel. If you change the alpha channel to be
all opaque, then you will see the image as shown by other viewers you
tried. So I would rather assume that the other viewers don't support
masks in BMP files and just ignore that extra information. As long as
that is not sorted out, you should not file this as a bug report against
GIMP. It is quite likely that the bug is elsewhere.