Sven Neumann <s...@gimp.org> writes:
> On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 00:17 +0100, Heinrich Moser wrote:
>> Sven Neumann <s...@gimp.org> writes:
>>>
>>> No. And we are certainly not willing to add such an option.
>>
>> OK, thanks for the information. In that case, I can just hope that
>> such a plug-in turns up again somewhere.
>
> You can easily write such a plug-in yourself, in case there's really no
> way to locate the old one.

Well, it was on registry.gimp.org until Dec. 2007 but, apparently, it
has been removed:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=3908

> It should be a trivial plug-in to write for someone who knows the
> Windows file-chooser API.

Which is why I was surprised to hear that it's so difficult to add
this feature. ;-) No, seriously, I fully understand Martin's points
about maintainance.

>>> You should report this as a bug against GTK+ then and perhaps you will
>>> also want to help the GTK+ developers to isolate and fix the cause for
>>> this.
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer into the direction of GTK. To verify this, I've
>> just downloaded gedit. It seems to use the same file open dialog
>> library (except for the preview), but, surprisingly, it is indeed
>> faster than GIMP (~10 seconds to show the directory contents, as
>> compared to ~30 with GIMP).
>
> You should investigate this then. It seems rather unlikely that GIMP is
> doing something with the file-chooser that could be responsible for
> this. What GTK+ version are you using with GIMP and which with gedit?

I don't think I will further investigate this, since I don't see much
point in this, to be honest. Yes, we could find out what's taking
GIMP's file open dialog so long and make it be as "fast" as other GTK
applications. But I really think the time is better spent solving the
problem permanently (like implementing the above mentioned plug-in)
rather than fine-tuning something that can never be as fast as the
native OS implementation.

Greetings,
    Heinzi