"Dotan Cohen" <dotanco...@gmail.com> writes:
> 2009/1/7 Jernej Simončič <jernej.listso...@ena.si>:
>> On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:19:03 +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
>>> No, that is because your operating system of choice sucks at file I/O.
>>> Windows does not buffer access to flash and network drives.
>>
>> It does this with removable drives because users rarely bother to eject
>> (unmount) them before unplugging them. You can enable caching (which
>> greatly improves performance), but then you have to remember to eject the
>> device before disconnecting it, or you risk filesystem corruption.
>
> No, users rarely bother to eject (unmount) them before unplugging them
> because the OS works like this. If the OS said "bad boy!" and lost
> data _once_ then the users would stop.

IIRC, that's exactly how it was in Windows 2000. Caching was enabled
by default, and you got a "bad boy!" error message when removing the
device. And yes, it was possible to lose data that way.

> This is a case of the OS fostering bad habits by treating the users
> as idiots who are unable to learn something so simple as pressing an
> eject button before physically removing hardware.

Well, apparently most of the users *were* "idiots unable to learn
...", because they had to change that behaviour in Windows XP.

Greetings,
    Heinzi