On Friday 16 January 2009 21:52:41 Cristian Secară wrote:
> My comment was related to „the easiest way would be to upgrade to
> Ubuntu 8.10” statement, given as a solution to be able to use a newer
> version of an application (no matter which). This is something I
> consider to be exaggerated.

depends. it took me several hours to install GIMP 2.6.4 on openSUSE
11.0, because upto now the OS repositories offer GIMP 2.4 librariies
only. had to install a bunch of dependencies, compile some of them, and
change libraries that openSUSE was using by default.

if the latest (stable) GIMP version is supported in a newer version of
ubuntu, it seems to make more sense to spend the time upgrading to that
OS version, since most likely that will be done sooner or later anyway,
than fiddling around with dependencies in the older OS version...

phani.