On Mon, 2009-02-09 at 23:00 -0500, Don wrote:
> Tonight, I simply want to create a text and then outline it as a text.
> Then I googled.  But the thing is, I cannot follow any of the
> tutorials I dug out.  Not because I didn't follow closely, but because
> not all of the menu items the tutorials talk about are available to
> me

There shouldn't be much in the way of menu issues for this task.  If you
need to outline text, try this:

1. Open a new window (File->New, any size should be fine to experiment
on).
2. Choose the Text tool from the Toolbox.
3. Click in the canvas window (also referred to as an image window).
This will open the Text Editor dialog window.
4. Type some text in the Text Editor, then click on the Close button.
The text will be visible in the canvas window and has been added as a
new layer in the Layers dialog.
5. Choose Layer->Transparency->Alpha to Selection.  This will create a
selection around your text.
6. Choose Layer->New to create a new layer (you want to outline the text
in a new layer so it doesn't modify the original text).  The new layer
should be transparent, which should be the default setting in the New
Layer dialog that pops up.
6. Choose Edit->Stroke Selection.  This will open a dialog window where
you can select the way you will stroke (re: outline) the text.  The
first time you can just choose the defaults and click on Stroke.  Later
you can experiment with different settings to change the way the outline
is drawn.
7.  In the Layers dialog turn off the visibility of the text layer.  Do
that by clicking on the eyeball to the left of the layer name and
preview image.

Now you can see the outlined text.  Things that you'll want to adjust in
your next attempt:
1. the location of the text before you outline it.  You may want to use
the move tool to place the text properly in the center of the canvas
window.
2. The font, size, color, etc. of the text.  This is handled in the Tool
Options dialog before you click on the canvas but after you've selected
the Text tool from the Toolbox.
3. The style of the stroke in the Stroke Selection dialog.
4. The foreground color from the Toolbox.  The foreground color will be
used for the color of the outline when you stroke the selection.

This may sound like a lot of work but it's really pretty easy once you
try it a few times.

Hope that helps.

--
Michael J. Hammel