Don wrote:
> Very new to GIMP.
>
> I am so frustrated to learn GIMP.
>
> Tonight, I simply want to create a text and then outline it as a text.
> Then I googled.  But the thing is, I cannot follow any of the
> tutorials I dug out.  Not because I didn't follow closely, but because
> not all of the menu items the tutorials talk about are available to me
> (and what can I do then?) and most of the tutorials don't tell us when
> it was written and what version of Gimp it was targeting.
>
> So frustrating.
>
> BTW, I am using Gimp 2.6.2 on Windows XP Professional SP2.

Besides the web sites pointed to you, there is a definite nice resource
that has helped me a lot.

It'd require you to change a bit how to learn: instead of "I want to do
this thing with text, let's find tutorials about it", I'd choose to
learn in the long run.
The site is about webcasts with the gimp, and despite it started as a
resource for digital photography, lately there are also webcasts that
show how to draw with it.
Also, it started with gimp 2.4 (if I'm right), but you should not find
difficult to find where the menu commands are in newer versions (it
hasn't been hard for me at all).

Give it a try, is definetely worth it (and fun!)

http://meetthegimp.org/

Cheers

Jaime