Thank you. I am not trying to complete any minor task. I am trying to learn

Now, sample tutorials. I am not saying they are not good tutorials, and I
actually appreciate their effort very much. Only that it helps if they say
to what version it was targeting and when it was written.

For example, this one:

At step 3, I got lost, because "Create Path from Text" isn't available to

Another one here:

I got lost at the 2nd step, because pressing the right mouse button on the
image does not give me the so-called "Dialogs [image: ->] Layers&Channels"
menu options.

Also, the tiny little button the author mentions under Add Some Color
section does'nt seem to be available to me for my version.

One more at:

I got lost at Step 6, because "Alpha to Selection" is grayed out and thus I
cannot select it.

See how frustrating it is?

Maybe I am doing something wrong or maybe I am having bad luck in picking up
tutorials that are targeting at a different version of Gimp.