On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Jay Smith <j...@jaysmith.com> wrote:
> Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.
> If I have a newly created "untitled" image and I Close it, I naturally,
> and correctly, get a dialog asking me if I wish to save it or not save it.
> In that dialog, pneumonic letters are underlined, meaning that I
> _should_ simply be able to type that letter and the action will be taken
> -- at least that is the way it would work on Windows (but I don't have
> Gimp on Windows).
> I _can_ access those pneumonics if I do an ALT first, as one would
> normally do when using pneumonics to get to menus.  However, I think I
> should be able to simply type the single pneumonic/letter that is
> underlined.

I have to say that I don't recall ever encountering such a behaviour on Windows.
I've always had to use ALT both on Windows and Linux, that I recall.

> a) Is this behavior (that I can't just type the letter, I have to also
> hit the ALT key) correct for this type of dialog box?

See below.
Also, I think a decision was made against this kind of behaviour as it
can make it quite easy to accidentally choose one of these options (if
eg. you think you're typing in IRC but actually your gimp 'Close
images' dialog is focused). I remember tripping over this in old DOS

> b) Is this the way Gimp acts in Windows?
Yes, as far as I know.

> c) Is this "problem" an Ubuntu / KDE standard way of doing things (or a
> known problem)?

GTK+ standard way of doing things, AFAIK.