On 04/08/2009 12:36 AM, Owen wrote:
>> Using Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.
>> If I have a newly created "untitled" image and I Close it, I
>> naturally,
>> and correctly, get a dialog asking me if I wish to save it or not save
>> it.
>> In that dialog, pneumonic letters are underlined, meaning that I
>> _should_ simply be able to type that letter and the action will be
>> taken
>> -- at least that is the way it would work on Windows (but I don't have
>> Gimp on Windows).
>> I _can_ access those pneumonics if I do an ALT first, as one would
>> normally do when using pneumonics to get to menus.  However, I think I
>> should be able to simply type the single pneumonic/letter that is
>> underlined.
>> a) Is this behavior (that I can't just type the letter, I have to also
>> hit the ALT key) correct for this type of dialog box?
>> b) Is this the way Gimp acts in Windows?
>> c) Is this "problem" an Ubuntu / KDE standard way of doing things (or
>> known problem)?
> Here on Ubuntu-8.10, Alt+F then  N  brings up a new dialog, and
> randomly checking a number of others, it worked as expected
> On Windows there is a windows theme (name forgotten) that can upset
> all manner of keyboard actions, but AFAIK, a standard installation of
> windows should allow keyboard control

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your reply, but I think you may have missed the point of my

To demonstrate:

1) Create a new image (by any means you wish).  Edit the image in some
way so it is different than the initial default empty created image.

2) Attempt to close the image.

3) On my system you will see a dialog box with the choices of:

     doN't save

   The capital letter I have used above is actually the underlined
   letter in the dialog.

4) On my system, I believe I should be able to simply type that
capitalized letter to select and execute one of those three choices.

   However, on my system, that dialog box is not paying attention to my
keyboard when I type just the letter (s, n, or c).

   Instead, I have to press the ALT key and then type (s, n, or c).

   In other programs on my system, such as Thunderbird Mail, the
behavior I desire and expect does work.

   Again, I am using:
      Gimp 2.6.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) Linux.

I think this is a bug, but I am seeking confirmation from others before
I report it.