Mike E. wrote:
> I wanted to uninstall 2.6.6 and return to 2.6.5 but that version appears not
> be available any more.

Are you sure? when I used my favorite search engine with the file name
of the window's installer [ "gimp-2.6.5-i686-setup.exe" ] for GIMP 2.6.5
as the search parameter, I found multiple sources from which the Windows
installer for GIMP 2.6.5 can be downloaded. In addition, the source code
for all GIMP versions is available through the GIMP website.

But you might also take a page from my "playbook": I save nearly every
software upgrade I download. A habit, I suppose, going back to my first
days of internet use, when I had slow dial-up service, informed by the
fact that my first download to about three hours, and it took me
multiple attempts to download the complete file. Somehow, after
downloading, I botched the file, and trashed the downloaded installer
after saving it; when I needed (for reasons I can't recall at this
point) to re-install, I had to download again. Last time that happened.