Gene Heskett <> wrote:

> On Sunday 03 May 2009, Alec Burgess wrote:
> >Owen ( wrote (in part)  (on 2009-05-03 at 23:13):
> >>  On Sun, 03 May 2009 22:44:23 -0400
> >>
> >>  Gene Heskett <> wrote:
> >>  > > Greetings;
> >>  > >
> >>  > > Latest gimp-2.6 from fedora installed, and once again I am
> >>
> >>  attempting
> >>
> >>  > > to crop an image and cannot.  Why is it so difficult to select a
> >>  > > rectangular area of the image, like the whole top 1/3 or the whole
> >>  > > bottom 1/3, and just plain crop it just as if I'd taken the paper
> >>  > > cutters to the print.  But while I can make the 'canvas' white, I
> >>  > > cannot actually cut that part of the canvas and toss it in
> >>
> >>  /dev/null,
> >>
> >>  > > which should be indicated by the checkerboard pattern replacing
> >>
> >>  it.
> >
> >To get "checkerboard pattern replacing " make sure the background layer
> >"has alpha channel" (right-click on layers menu and select [Add alpha
> >channel]. If a layer has NO alpha channel its name will appear in bold
> >in the layer menu and cutting or cropping will show the background color.
> >
> >To "just plain crop it just as if I'd taken the paper cutters to the
> >print" ... maybe you want Image-[Fit image to canvas]?
> ISTR I tried that in some previous incarnation of gimp, but because it was
> just erased, the 'canvas' was still wasted.  I did try to fiddle with canvas
> size this time, but that adjusted the whole image without changing the ratio
> of image vs canvas, so that was just another edit->undo to me. :)

When you cannot find a clear answer to some question in the manual, most
probably it is because your question is ill formulated. This is why
searching Google may be of some help: maybe some other people stated the
same question in similar terms, and got a meaningful answer.

Thus, before accusing others of not doing what you would like, please
ask yourself what exactly you want. You use the term "crop", which you
explain with reference to scissors on a printed paper. Then, why do you
refer to transparency and the checkerboard pattern used for making it
visible in GIMP?

You want to crop your image? Then do use the crop tool, found in the
Toolbox and represented by a cutter icon! Or better, use Shift+C. Then
delimit the rectangle you want to keep in your image, and press Enter.
That's done: the other parts of the image are discarded, and the canvas
is now the exact size of the remaining part.

Do not use Autocrop or Zealous crop, which are automatic tools made for
removing a frame or a one-color area in an image.

Erasing some part of your image is something completely different, and
is not similar to the use of scissors. Depending on the presence of an
alpha channel in your image, erasing some part replaces it with the
background color (which may happen to be white), or with transparency
(which is made visible with a checkerboard pattern).

By the way, if you are accustomed to undo a lot of things, learn to use
Ctrl+Z, which is must more handy than an entry in a menu, or the undo
history dialog.

                        Olivier Lecarme