On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2009, David Gowers wrote:
>>On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Sunday 03 May 2009, David Gowers wrote:

BTW, the crop tool doc I pointed to is basically the same help you get
if you hover over Tools->Transform->Crop (or the toolbox icon of Crop,
presumably -- I removed all tools from my toolbox, thus I do not know)
and press Shift+F1 for context help.

Doing similarly for the Image->Autocrop menu item brings me to

file:///usr/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/plug-in-autocrop.html
(don't bother clicking on that, it's a local link.. although, it MAY
work in your system if your installation is similar enough)

Which also links to the Crop tool and Crop Layer command.

I literally never use that functionality myself, but it sounds like
you would benefit from knowing about Shift+F1. Just F1 by itself is
not context-sensitive. (there's also the menu item Help->Context help,
which looks up the help on some thing (which it waits for you to click
on)

> wrote:
>>Autocrop crops the image automatically by detecting blank space
>>surrounding the image content.
>
> That I'd argue about as its fresh in my mind. Autocrop, when viewing the image
> I had moved to the top of the canvas in order to get rid of the blanked area
> above it, but that left about 2/5ths of the canvas at the bottom of the image
> blank, it having been selected and cut using what I thought was a crop
> function.

I agree that it can behave in a very confusing way when you have a
selection active. IMO it doesn't make sense to use it when a selection
is currently defined, we should either ignore the selection or bail
out saying 'this doesn't make any sort of sense to perform when there
is a selection. use Select->None and then rerun Autocrop, if that is
really what you meant'

> AutoCrop always reported there was nothing to crop, as did zealous crop.
>
>>Zealous crop does the same sort of thing, except for each individual
>>object in the image (one of the effects of this is that the spaces
>>between images are reduced. This is often handy for webpage authors.)
images? I meant "parts?" mini-images, maybe.

> When it doesn't dump that portion of the canvas with it, leaving blank canvas
> behind, taking up space in the image.  That to me is not a crop, its an erase.
> Even a 'cut' should take the canvas/paper with it, and a paste should add it
> back in.  But I realize too that that might be several times more difficult to
> code.

It seems to me that you are thinking in terms of an infinite canvas
(which is relatively unsurprising given the background you have).
However the canvas in GIMP is strictly finite, as is the case with
many painting and photo-editing programs. The new system in GEGL, that
is being integrated into GIMP, brings the possibility of support for
an infinite canvas (and I'm sure it will be discussed, when the time
comes).
However, such support would be strictly optional if implemented.
Why? Because the behaviour you describe (shrinking when cut, expanding
when pasting) is actually quite rude for a lot of usage patterns
(mainly if the image is going to end up on the web), where the
coherency of layouts depends on images remaining exactly the same
size.

Expanding for pasting is not automatic, but it's pretty easy to do manually:
1. Paste whatever you want, where you want.
2. Image->Fit canvas to Layers
3. Click the New Layer button to make a new layer out of the pasted content
4. Rightclick on that layer and select 'Merge Down'
(the above is only needed when pasting actually would expand the
canvas and you want it to.)

David