On Tuesday 21 July 2009 04:59:45 pm Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-20 at 21:09 -0400, John Culleton wrote:
> > >
> > > Should GIMP then also include matching GTK+ and GLib? And
> > > other mandatory dependencies?
> >
> > The hangup for many users is gegl and babl, and not the other
> > requirements.  The distros are more likely to include them.
> > perhaps it is because gegl and babl are relatively new
> > libraries, while the others have been with us for quite a
> > while.
> Users don't build software from source. If you are building
> software yourself, then you are a developer. And you shouldn't
> really have a problem to compile these libraries then. If you
> have questions, you are of course free to ask them and we will
> try to help. But please don't ask us to simplify the build
> process in such awkward ways. The source tree is not aimed at
> users. Users should use whatever their distro offers.
> Sven
Understood. However I find Gimp 2.6 better than 2.4, which is what
the latest stable version of my distro offers. So I will continue
to be a user who compiles.

I must admit, compiling is becoming more difficult. Scribus uses
cmake. Inkscape uses Automake and requires that you install
Boehm-GC and Boost.  The day of untar, ./configure, make and make
install is apparently passing.

John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95