PKG_CONFIG_PATH needs to point to a pkconfig folder containing various
.pc files.

Look in /usr/lib/pkconfig and /usr/local/lib/pkconfig and check where
various glib- and gtk-related .pc files are located.
You may well need both pkconfig folders.
Then
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkconfig:/usr/lib/pkconfig; export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH; ./configure

You should be able to compile but you may not be able to run, because
the program can't find this or that library which you know you have -
you get a message saying "couldn't find library lib......so....."

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH may avoid that happening, but quite often it
doesn't.
Usually it's because the program insists on looking for that library in
/usr/lib when you've got it in /usr/ local (or /usr/lib64 on a 64-bit
machine).
In that case, as root create absolute links from /usr/lib to all those
particular library lib......so... files in /usr/local/lib (or wherever).
It solves most problems.

HTH

Doug