>I really appreciate the replies.  In the work flow example I gave earlier in
this thread, am I correct that there is no other practical way to accomplish
those steps on a photo other than to perform them destructively on a single
layer (set levels, hit ok, correct color, hit ok, etc. so that you can't go
back without undoing in sequence or just scrapping your work and starting over
from scratch)?  And flattening or merging layers is really sort of a 'kicked
down the road' way of 'hitting OK' albeit you are committing to a batch of
changes rather than accepting them one at a time - better, I guess, in that
you get to see the net effect of all the layers in the stack before committing
to their effect.

So, if I'm correct, then, I finally think I've grasped how to use layers in
editing a photo.

Additional advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Caruso