> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> why is it impossible to print (on paper) in a reasonable
>> quality,
>> images converted from pcd-format to jpg, tiff, ..., with a
>> HPDeskJet printer?
>>
>> Dick Kampman

>Hello Dick

>Have you tried whith the xw-tools from (it's shareware - price
>15 ECU)
>http://home.t-online.de/home/jj.sarton/startE.html

>I have had it to work, but since I have changed to RedHat 6.1 I
>can't
>get in connection whith my printer throug the driver - If you
>succeseed
>i'd be glad to hear how

>Sincerely Mogens Jęger
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Another printerdriver for my HP DeskJet 970 Cxi might be of
interest. I have contacted J.J.Sarton but he could not help,
because Hewlett Packard asks too much money for the relevant
information.

Overmore, in the true sense, another driver is only part of my
problem.
The other part of the problem is actually, that I can print in
600 dpi mode to the mentionned printer with the HP 600 series
driver in the GIMP. Yes, I can print most of the gif's, jpg's,
etcetera.
The real problem is, that WHEN I CONVERT A PHOTOCD-IMAGE TO .PPM,
OR .JPG, OR WHATSOEVER FORMAT (with pcdtoppm, or with
ImageMagick), I CANNOT GET A PRINT OF A SERIOUS QUALITY FROM MY
PRINTER OF THIS CONVERTED IMAGE. The prints are looking as if I
see only 1 plane of colour. But this is only an assumption on my
side. I do not really know what the problem is.
These converted PhotoCD-images have in the GIMP only one layer
(background; which is normal, I believe) and three channels
(R-G-B), and I can get normal imagepictures of them in GIMP
imagewindows, and in ImageMagick-displaymode.
Everything is looking normal, But when I print these images from
GIMP to the mentionned printer, it is all rubbish.

I should like to know what is the problem. Is it impossible to
print (on paper) these from PhotoCD converted images, or do I
have to manipulate these images before printing them?

Dick Kampman