On 19 Jan 2000, Rui-Tao Dong wrote:

> Thanks for all the replies.  I am still wondering if anyone has seen
> Gimp really really fast with large images on reasonably cost machines?
> (100K SGIs are out of the question :-)

see below.

> A little bit more detail on my settings.  A work, I have a 200MHz PPro
> (RH 5.2) with 384MB memory and a dedicated 100BaseT line to an 266MHz
> PII (WNT4) running VNC as my X terminal.  The video card is on a
> Matrox Corona framegrabber (4MB Millennium II equivalent).  I do
> different kind of image processing at work.  1kx1k grayscale is very
> fast with this setting (mostly custom C++ code).  But 1600x1200 color
> image is slow. (Gimp 1.13)
>
> At home, I have a 200MHz PPro (RH 5.1) with 32MB memory.  I use
> XFree86 SVGA server on a 4MB Millennium II (at 1600x1200x16bit).  The
> machine is very fast with everything else.  However, Gimp with
> 1600x1200 color image is quite slow, even with simple repainting.
> Should I play with backstore and how do I turn it on?

Well, my first thought is - get more ram. though what exactly is this
backstore thing?

> I have another headless 166MHz Alpha UDB with 80MB of memory.  Gimp
> 1.04 is understandably slow.

as i noted above - a friend has gimp running on an alpha w/256mb ram. it
runs quite fast (much better than my PII 350 w/128). i'd say get an alpha,
or maybe a PII 450/500(?) with at least 128mb ram. anything over that
should be more than enough to run gimp reasonably fast in high-res.

> --
> Regards,
>
>                       Rui-Tao (x679)

        Jonathan Erbe           aka             Erunantion
                     The Annals of Middle-earth
                <"http://rush.baked.net/~jerbel/">
             E-mail me at <"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">