On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 12:22:29PM -0800, Rui-Tao Dong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> X server can optionally backstore window information for repainting,
> instead of asking the client to redraw.  I haven't find the switch to

This is most probably a loss on your card anyway, since all the X-servers
I am aware of for PCs _read_ from the graphics card to do that, which is
not going to be fast.

(for example, the very fast milenium ii/agp can write 140MB per second,
but only read 14MB/s).

You can try to force it either through your window manager or starting
your x-server in a special mode (see Xserver(1)).

I guess the real bottleneck is the gimp memory management, which is very
slow for small, moderate-sized images and usable for large images (where
other programs just barf).