<my two cents>

I run GIMP (1.1.15) on a PII 400 with 384 megs of ram, 16 meg Matrx G400
at 1600x1200 24 bit.  I deal with 1600x1200 images often, since I take
frequent screenshots for themes.org.  Even with what should be a kick ass
system, I still find that GIMP slows down significantly with such large
images.  I might (if I could afford it) try a dual processor (P3?) with
512 megs of ram - I would hope that such a configuration would be able to
handle large images fast.

</my two cents>

Anyway, good luck!

Greg

On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Erunantion wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2000, Rui-Tao Dong wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the replies.  I am still wondering if anyone has seen
> > Gimp really really fast with large images on reasonably cost machines?
> > (100K SGIs are out of the question :-)
>
> see below.
>
> > A little bit more detail on my settings.  A work, I have a 200MHz PPro
> > (RH 5.2) with 384MB memory and a dedicated 100BaseT line to an 266MHz
> > PII (WNT4) running VNC as my X terminal.  The video card is on a
> > Matrox Corona framegrabber (4MB Millennium II equivalent).  I do
> > different kind of image processing at work.  1kx1k grayscale is very
> > fast with this setting (mostly custom C++ code).  But 1600x1200 color
> > image is slow. (Gimp 1.13)
> >
> > At home, I have a 200MHz PPro (RH 5.1) with 32MB memory.  I use
> > XFree86 SVGA server on a 4MB Millennium II (at 1600x1200x16bit).  The
> > machine is very fast with everything else.  However, Gimp with
> > 1600x1200 color image is quite slow, even with simple repainting.
> > Should I play with backstore and how do I turn it on?
>
> Well, my first thought is - get more ram. though what exactly is this
> backstore thing?
>
> > I have another headless 166MHz Alpha UDB with 80MB of memory.  Gimp
> > 1.04 is understandably slow.
>
> as i noted above - a friend has gimp running on an alpha w/256mb ram. it
> runs quite fast (much better than my PII 350 w/128). i'd say get an alpha,
> or maybe a PII 450/500(?) with at least 128mb ram. anything over that
> should be more than enough to run gimp reasonably fast in high-res.
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> >                     Rui-Tao (x679)

>       Jonathan Erbe           aka             Erunantion
>                      The Annals of Middle-earth
>                 <"http://rush.baked.net/~jerbel/">
>            E-mail me at <"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">

                     Greg Sanders {} Col_KFC {} [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   Site Manager - Themes.org - http://themes.org
                Advisory Board Member - Linux.com - http://linux.com

             p o w e r e d   b y   V A   L i n u x   S y s t e m s
                     h t t p : / / v a l i n u x . c o m